Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81

At 12:56 PM 8/21/2006, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 12:25:58PM -0400, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>>There is now an upstream patch for make with Chris's blessing.
>
>This does not exactly have my "blessing".  I have just tried to be as
>diligent as possible in making sure that the change makes sense and that
>the patch is as small as possible.

OK, I will rephrase, Chris has seen the patch and will not oppose its adoption into
make or the next release of cygwin make.

>It would behoove people for whom this change is important to test it,
>though.

Please do, it works for my use case and passes all the make tests, but
that is about as much as was tested.   The patch allows makefiles to recognize
windows and Posix paths.   All of the following will work:
c:\foo\bar.txt and c:/foo/bar.txt and /cygdrive/c/foo/bar.txt.

It is not really new functionality to the upstream make.   make already had
support for this, but it was not enabled when building for cygwin.  It now is.

-Bill