octave compiled with gcc-3.4.4-2 - error messages during make check

I've built a test version of octave 2.1.73 on cygwin using the experimental
gcc-3.4.4-2 compiler.  Thanks to Brian Dessent for pointing out a packaging
problem with the compiler and a workaround:
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-07/msg00620.html .

The build is successful, but several of the tests executed during "make check"
issue error messages like the following:

Running /home/dad/sources/octave/octave-2.1.73/test/octave.test/quad/quad.exp
    102 [main] octave 1252 fork: child -1 - died waiting for longjmp before
initialization, retry 0, exit code
 0x80, errno 11

Interestingly, none of these tests actually fail in the summary report.

The only hits I get with Google on this error message ["died waiting for
longjmp before initialization, retry 0"] relate to relatively recent issues
with the cygwin dll.  I'm not sure how to classify this issue, i.e. whether it
is a cygwin issue, a compiler issue, or an octave issue.  Also I'm not sure how
serious it is, since the tests it occurred on appeared to complete
successfully.

Any help with analysis of these questions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim Phillips