Re: (XP) cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot rename file CVS/Entries.Backup to CVS/Entries: Permission denied

  This is an old issue but we figured out where the cause of the problem
was: a Veritas backup agent. I tried setting the backup operations to
manual, but that wasn't enough. It also wasn't enough that the directory
where I was doing my cvs checkout wasn't even selected for backup. I had
to prevent the agent from running by removing it from the Startup menu.

  It turns out this wasn't related to Cygwin at all, but so that the
answer goes with the question I'm posting it here.