RE: Can I use two sets of different cygwin installations simultaneously?

광훈 최 wrote:
> Can I use two different sets of cygwin installations safely?
>
> For example, one set may include the up-to-date full packages, while
> the other may include somewhat old-dated, partially installed
> packages.
>
> The second set might look strange to you, but I have to keep it
> because I need to maintain the same cygwin environment as what all of
> my colleagues have in order to develop some software together.
>
> It would be the best if I can configure the cygwin setup procedure to
> satisfy this requirement.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> K. Choi

> 180도 달라진 야후! 메일 - 컴퓨터와 휴대폰으로 언제 어디서나 새로운 야후! 메일을 확인해보세요.
> http://kr.content.mail.yahoo.com/cgland

I think that you want to have two completely different cygwins, say one in c:\cygwin and one in c:\cygwin_old.  Use two different copies of setup (c:\cygwin\arc\setup.exe and c:\cygwin_old\arc\setup.exe) each with its own package repository (c:\cygwin\arc and c:\cygwin_old\arc) to maintain them.  Then use only one at a time and start them with batch files.  Note that you can run multiple cygwin windows at a time but they all have to be started from the same batch file.  (Modify to your specifics and taste.)

	@REM this is CYGWIN.BAT
	@echo off
	PATH=c:\cygwin;%PATH%
	set HOME=/home/username
	set CYGWIN=check_case:adjust export title nostrip_title
	C:
	chdir C:\cygwin
	bin\mount -f -u -b "c:/cygwin/bin" "/usr/bin"
	bin\mount -f -u -b "c:/cygwin/lib" "/usr/lib"
	bin\mount -f -u -b "c:/cygwin" "/"
	bin\bash --login -I
	exit

and

	@REM this is CYGWIN_OLD.BAT
	@echo off
	PATH=c:\cygwin_old;%PATH%
	set HOME=/home/username
	set CYGWIN=check_case:adjust export title nostrip_title
	C:
	chdir C:\cygwin_old
	bin\mount -f -u -b "c:/cygwin_old/bin" "/usr/bin"
	bin\mount -f -u -b "c:/cygwin_old/lib" "/usr/lib"
	bin\mount -f -u -b "c:/cygwin_old" "/"
	bin\bash --login -I
	exit

Directories that you want to share between both installations can be put in either installation (or outside of both) and mounted.

	mount -f -u -b "c:/cygwin/home" "/home"
or
	mount -f -u -b "c:/cygwin_common/home" "/home"

Also, check the mail archives.  I know about the following mail threads, though they do not may or may not be of help (and there may be others).
  - January 2005: Multiple installations and 3PPs
  - October 2004: Spurious "You have multiple copies of cygwin1.dll on your system."

If you give it a try, remember that I haven't tried it, so don't be surprised.  :-)

Good luck.

- Barry