Re: change in behavior of make from 3.80 to 3.81

Dave Korn wrote:

Every single day for the past month, we have had at least
seventy-four[*] identical duplicate redundant reports of this...

Have you considered that there just might be a significant message hidden in this from your user community? As somebody who was involved in one of these earlier threads, let me also mention that to every one of these seventy-four[*] reports you see on the mailing list there is another user who expresses his annoyance with these changes in private emails, having given up on posting such things because of the hostile reaction one gets these days for expressing views about requirements that certain people here don't like.

Christopher Faylor wrote:

I just don't care about MS-DOS paths.

Fair enough, you've made that pretty clear in previous posts.

If I am somehow conveying the impression that there is some threshold of
affected users which will cause me to spend my own time trying to
modify make, let me make it clear - that is not the case.

If this implies that Cygwin maintainers generally "just don't care" about
their users anymore perhaps those users will have to band together some day and consider creating a Cygwin fork...

Joachim

-- work: joachima@netacquire.com (http://www.netacquire.com) private: joachim@kraut.ca (http://www.kraut.ca)