system() call returns 127 in windows xp

I ran into a brick wall and could not find anything on
the web and on the post to resolve the problem I'm
having, which is a strange one.

I have a C program that call system("ls -la >
dir.txt") that works fine within bash cygwin.  It also
has been working on the computers running windows xp
without cygwin installed (only required dlls were
copied to it).

For some reason the program is giving me error 127
when calling system() on the new machines running
windows xp without cygwin installed.  I have tried
everything I could think of but nothing seems to work.
 I have mouted the drive in the registry as follow

mounts v2
cygdrive flags  REG_DWORD  0x00000022(34)
cygdrive prefix REG_SZ           /cygdrive

   /c
   flags            REG_DWORD  0x0000000a(10)
   native          REG_SZ           c:

Thanks in advance.

-Jeff