Problem with grep -Fwf (version 2.5.1a-1 and 2.5.1a-2)

Using the following files both of which had dos2unix run on them to be sure there were no line-ending issues:

===== data.txt =======
abc
defghi
======================

===== filter.txt =====
abc
deghi

These commands work as expected:
$ fgrep -f filter.txt data.txt
$ tail -1 data.txt | fgrep -wf filter.txt

But this command fails to return ghi:
$ fgrep -wf filter.txt data.txt
So it seems that after a match is discarded because it is not a full word (due to the -w flag), subsequent full word matches are also discarded.

I've tested this with the grep 2.5.1 installed on a recent Gentoo GNU/Linux machine and it behaves properly so I am guessing it might be a problem specific to the cygwin port. I have not worked with Cygwin source yet, so I'm reporting the problem, and if I finish with the work tasks that surfaced the problem, I'll be happy to dig into the source and attempt to create a patch, but I'm hoping there might be someone out there that can quickly determine the problem and solution. :)
--
Daniel Einspanjer