RE: Why are Windows paths broken in make 3.81?

I have been following this discussion closely, as we were also hit by this
change.  However, in all the emails and the ChangeLog, I still can't find an
official reason why the change was made in the first place.  Was it for
technical reasons?  And if so, would the Cygwin team accept a patch that
readded win32 path support?  Or was it for idealistic reasons?

Thanks for any replies; I am genuinely curious about the official reason.

William Sheehan
Builds Engineer / Network Administrator
Open Interface North America