RE: Question on static Cygwin-hosted applications

On 25 July 2006 15:55, Bill Gatliff wrote:

  Hi Bill!

> I'm in the odd place where I need a statically-linked GNU cross
> toolchain that runs under Win32.  The idea is that I could then take my
> toolchain directory and move it over to another Win32 machine that
> doesn't have any special runtime environment previously installed and it
> Should Just Work.
>
> My understanding of Cygwin is that this isn't possible, was never
> possible, won't ever be possible:
>
> http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2000-12/msg01150.html
>
> ... and I don't have a problem with that.  Really.  But as of today, is
> this still true?

  Yep.  A dll is still a dynamic link library, and cygwin is still a dll, and
in fact innately relies on being one, in order to be able to rely on such
features as DllMain being called every time a thread starts or dies.

  You want to buid a mingw hosted compiler if you want it to run without
cygwin dll present.  You can do that under cygwin with configure arguments:

--host=i686-pc-mingw32 --target=${your_x_target} CC='gcc -mno-cygwin' CXX='g++
-mno-cygwin'

as the cygwin native gcc supports x-compilation to mingw.

    cheers,
      DaveK