Re: Problem with syslog-ng looping at start

On Jul 24 19:18, Ren? Berber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The problem happens about once week and I'm starting my PC every day (I would
> estimate it fails in about 1 of 7 to 14 starts); it has been happening for some
> time, at least with the last 3 versions of cygwin's dll, currently I'm using
> 1.5.21 and this is under Windows XP-Pro sp2.
>
> Syslog-ng was installed as a service following the instructions in the README
> and it works fine (even when it's looping), some info:
>
> $ cygrunsrv -Q syslog-ng
> Service             : syslog-ng
> Display name        : CYGWIN syslog-ng
> Description         : syslogd
> Current State       : Running
> Controls Accepted   : Stop
> Command             : /usr/sbin/syslog-ng -p /var/run/syslog-ng.pid
>
> When it "loops" syslog-ng uses 100% of the CPU, and it always happens just after
> reboot, before I log in the computer.  The way I notice is of course that
> everything is very slow when a process is using 100% CPU.

I'm using syslog-ng all the time and I never had this problem.  I'm
wondering if you just have a dependency problem since that seems to
happen on some systems but not on others.  What happens if you add
a dependency to tcpip to the syslog-ng service?

> I usually just stop (or kill) the process and restart it, and it works.  There
> is a difference in my computer between stopping the service and just killing the
> process because I made all the other daemons that use syslog dependent on this
> service, but I think that is not relevant.
>
> I'm attaching the last part of a strace I did and it shows how it is looping.  I
> hope this can be usefull; I haven't done any other debugging of the problem.

The strace is not helpful.  It shows the normal state of affairs, select
is called with a 100ms timeout, nothing happens on the selected
descriptors, timeout, loop.  Nothing unusual.  Especially no explanation
for taking 100% CPU.

Corinna

Red Hat