Cron Problems

Before I get started, please note that I'm a complete Cygwin newbie, so try to bear with me.

We had Cron running on a system to check the integrity of our backups, but the drive went out. We had a backup of the drive before it went out. My boss now wants me to make the Cron run again from the backup of the Cygwin directory, and I've never worked with Cygwin in my life. So I really don't know what I'm doing. I tried running "cygrunsrv -I Cron -p /bin/crontab.exe" to install the service. The service installs, but when I try to start the service, I get "Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly". Then, it logs this in the Application Error Log: "The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Cron ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Cron : PID 1776 : starting service `Cron' failed: execv: 1, Operation not permitted."

If I try to run crontab _cron, it comes back with "chown: Invalid argument".

If I try to run cron_diagnostic, it comes back with this: "The group membership of you crontab file should be SYSTEM, as documented in the file /usr/shar/doc/Cygwin/cron.README. You can change this setting with: chgrp SYSTEM /var/cron/tabs/AndrewKing. Please check your crontab's group membership, and run this script again." Well, I try doing that with "backup" in the place of "SYSTEM", backup is my group, with the -v option, and it comes back "group of '/var/cron/tabs/andrewking' retained as backup". I try running cron_diagnostic again, and I get the same message.

I've been working on this project for more than a week, so it'd be nice to get it done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew