make 3.81-1 vs. 3.80-1 and C:\... style dependency handling differences

Hi.

The following GNUmakefile behaves differently in the new 3.81-1 build
compared to the 3.80-1 that was replaced. I did not find this subject
when I looked at the recent messages.

===

default: C:\cygwin\bin/echo.exe
	"C:\cygwin\bin/echo" "Test"

===

3.80-1 produces:

$ make
"C:\cygwin\bin/echo" "Test"
Test

===

3.81-1 produces:

$ make
GNUmakefile:1: *** target pattern contains no `%'.  Stop.

===

Which is right for cygwin? I have a context that is now very dependent
on 3.80-1's behavior. Is the context dependent on a mistake? Or is the
new 3.81-1 not doing something it should?

The actual GNUmakefile's use $(...) macros from environment variables
that have Windows style paths. I vastly simplified the above to make the
example.

I simply replaced the make package with cygwin's setup.exe to go back
and forth, with the rest of the environment unchanged and current
according to setup.exe.

Mark Millard