Re: When ssh'd in, cannot run MS compiler /Zi debug option.

Mark Charney wrote:
I suspect I'm missing some "rights". This is an issue for me on multiple machines running Windows Server 2003 x64 or for 32b WinXP.
When I try to compile using the debug-option (/Zi) to the Microsoft Visual Studio Pro 2005 compiler:
cl /Zi hello.cpp
it only works from within cygwin if I am on the console or remote desktop. If I ssh-in to the same machine, it fails with a error message:

Fatal Error C1902: Program database manager mismatch; please check your installation.

Compiling without /Zi works fine anywhere we try it. My best guess is that it has to do with some RPC rights required for the debug-symbol file (PDB) generation done by the mspdb80.dll . That DLL uses RPC to talk to the mspdbsrv.exe.

Any ideas? Is this a problem because the compiler running as my via ssh doesn't have sufficient rights to talk RPC to the mspdbsrv.exe ?

Actually, you might want to read <http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=357051&SiteID=1>.

This seems to be a problem with cl.exe, NOT Cygwin (and yes, I have the exact same problem). At the very least, Interix's SSH has the same issue. There is supposed to be a hotfix, the name of which is mentioned in another thread linked via the above thread, but you have to go through Microsoft support to get it :-(.

(If you do get it, I would really appreciate a copy :-).)

Alternatively, if you figure out how to fix this without the hotfix, I trust you will mention it here.

--
Matthew
Now where did I put my hippo?