Re: dselect - formally Re: Running as root

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Tue, Jul 18, 2006 at 12:19:58AM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 09:49:02PM +1000, Stephen Grant Brown wrote:
I am unable to use dselect for the inspection of packages in the Debian
distribution.
Ok.  Unless someone steps forward who is willing to maintain dpkg, it
will be removed from the distribution in a few days.
Is there any useful functionality actually provided by having dpkg for
Cygwin?  If there is I'll have a go, but if it's just a toy that
happens to compile, but you can't actually do anything useful with, I
don't see the point.

Um. That would be the kind of thing that a maintainer would know the answer to wouldn't it?

Maybe that's why he skipped town. ;-)

From my perspective, the current functionality can be likened to a version of
tar that only implements the "t" option flag.  I suppose it's in the eye of
the beholder as to whether dselect's limited functionality has some value but
I would posit that it's confusing to have the current functionality called
"dselect", since that implies more than this implementation is.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 216 Dalton Rd. (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746