Re: Failure to run image magic in the latest release

Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 04:27:37PM +1200, Mark Hadfield wrote:
Christopher Faylor wrote:
On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 03:01:27AM +0100, Andy Rushton wrote:
Hi all,

I have found a problem with ImageMagick and a temporary fix.

After a recent update to my Cygwin installation, the convert program
stopped working. It simply exited silently, though I discover with gdb
that it was failing with an unknown exception. It turned out that this
was because of a missing dll, specifically
/usr/X11R6/bin/cygdpstk-1.dll, which also requires
/usr/X11R6/bin/cygdps-1.dll.

So, as I said, I don't know whether this could be fixed by you or the
x11 maintainers. Any thoughts?
Just one: cygwin/x issues should really go to the cygwin-xfree mailing
list.
I for one am very glad it has been mentioned on the Cygwin list, as I had noticed similar behaviour but not bothered to establish the cause. And I would never have thought it was an X-related problem as convert is a non-graphical program.

So maybe you should be reading the cygwin-xfree mailing list then.

I think it affects GraphicsMagick also.

It is, without a doubt, a cygwin/x issue. So please no more whining here.
Who's whining? I just posted a work-around to a Cygwin-related problem. In case you're unaware, this is not an X-Windows tool, it is a command-line tool so this is the natural mailing list for discussing it. The fact that it uses some functionality from X libraries doesn't change it's command-line nature

As I see it, it's not for me to say where the problem is. It could be that ImageMagick does not need to have a dependency on this DLL, in which case it is a problem for the maintainer of ImageMagick. Of course it could be that the X people have inadvertently missed out the DLL from the latest release, in which case it would *then* be an XFree problem. How am I to know which package is the faulty one? .

Posting this report here with a work-around that fixes it gives those who use ImageMagick an insight into the problem as the response from Mark shows. If the post was useful, it was relevant.

Andy

--
Andy Rushton, Southampton, UK

Information is the inverse of entropy.