Re: inetd help

On Jul 14 08:31, McGraw, Robert P. wrote:
> I have installed cygwin on a Window2003 server. The install see to go in
> with out problems.
>
> I installed  and started inetd with the following commands
>
> 	Cygrunsrv -I inetd -d "CYGWIN inetd" -p ......
>
> 	Cygrunsrv -S inetd
>
> I looked in the Window 2003 services and it in the list.

inetd is not designed to run under cygrunsrv.  It installs (and, fwiw,
removes) itself as service.  One condition to get this right is to
read the documentation first, which, I think, is always a good idea:

  /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README

There you'll see that not long ago a special option -D has been
added to allow running inetd under cygrunsrv.  But it's not necessary,
just read on in the above document.

Did you call the /bin/iu-config script before starting inetd?  Or, in
other words, do you have a valid /etc/inetd.conf file?

Btw., when running on 2K3, the SYSTEM user has not enough privileges to
switch the user context w/o password, which will spoil using rsh a
bit...  See the /bin/sshd-host-config script from the openssh package,
which installs not only the sshd serice, but also creates a new user
account called "sshd_server", which has the necessary privileges to do
that.  You could remove the inetd service and recreate it again after
running /bin/sshd-host-config like this:

  cygrunsrv -R inetd
  cygrunsrv -I inetd -u sshd_server -w <sshd_server's password> ...

Or you just change the user account in the Services MMC Snap-In.

HTH,
Corinna

Red Hat