RE: Perl failure

I ran just the core part of the script,  it forks off a number of
rsync's for every machine it is checking.  When the panic happens it
kills of the parent,  but the remaining children finish successfully.

 I then brought back up the previous server that I had used (win2k
machine with cyg1.5.5).  The script ran through successfully on the
older machine.  I had to make minor changes to my Perl script:

1: I use ping to check if the machines are alive,  the older ping
response needs to be parsed differently

2: I use rsync for version control,  Rsync (old and new)  will hang
about 5% of the time on the old cygwin and about 0.5% of the time on the
new, often to the point where cygwin's kill won't kill it.  In these
cases I also call /c/windows/system32/taskkill on XP,  but I need to
call windows kill on win2k.

3: All the data that is version controlled is kept on the new cyg 1.5.19
XP server,  so I had to change the data location from a local drive on
the newer machine to a network drive on the newer machine.

So I'm at the point where the old server works with new code (  though
it is very slow and rsync is very unreliable on it)  and a new machine
which runs great until it craps out after 1.5 hours.

I hope the above helps

Thanks
Bruce D.