Re: Problem with embedded spaces in path name for --info-script switch in tar

On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 12:43:23PM -0600, Brian Liedtke wrote:
>Using tar-1.15.1-4.
>
>I am writing a script to create multi-volume archives using tar. However it
>appears that the --info-script switch doesn't handle imbedded spaces in the
>path name.
>In the sample script below, I have hard-encoded the path to verify that was
>the problem
>and not with building the variable with the path name.
>
>Script:
>#!/bin/bash
>export ARCHIVE_DIR=/cygdrive/d
>export ARCHIVE_NAME=full_`date +%y%m%d`
>
>tar -cv \
>   --ignore-failed-read \
>   --exclude=pagefile.sys \
>   --exclude=*.vsv \
>   -L4096 \
>   -M --info-script="/cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/Liedtke/My
>Documents/Tasks/Backup/rename.sh" \
>   -f$ARCHIVE_DIR/$ARCHIVE_NAME.tar .
>
># End script
>
>Output is:
>tar: and: Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory.
>tar: Settings/Liedtke/My: Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory.
>tar: Documents/Tasks/Backup/rename.sh: Warning: Cannot stat: No such file
>or directory
>
>I've devised a workaround by copying the script to the PWD previous to the
>tar command and then
>deleting it. But it should work as above, correct?
>
>I've searched for the problem on the web and found nothing. Am I missing
>something
>obvious, or is this switch not handling embedded spaces in the path name
>correctly?
>(Thank you Microsoft.)

"Microsoft" handles spaces in paths just fine.

I don't know why tar isn't in this case but you can work around the problem
by mounting the directory as something else:

mount -f -x -b c:/"Documents and Settings"/Liedtke/"My Documents" /foo

And then refer to "/foo/Tasks/Backup/rename.sh".

I haven't tested the above and may have a typo but hopefully it is obvious
nonetheless.  If not, then possibly "man mount" would help.

cgf