Re: updwtmpx

Thanks for the clarifications Igor.

--
Luis P Caamano
Atlanta, GA USA

On 6/22/06, Igor Peshansky <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU> reformatted.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>. Thanks.

> > On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, Luis P Caamano wrote:
> >
> > > The latest gnome-terminal, which works nicely btw, complaints before
> > > first start that it cannot find updwtmpx in cygwin1.dll.  I see that
> > > it was added back in February but I can't figure out which version
> > > includes it.
> > >
> > > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin.cvs/2345/match=updwtmpx+cygwin
> > >
> > > Perhaps it's in an experimental version?
> >
> > It's a snapshot
> > (<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.setup.html#faq.setup.snapshots>).
> > It'll also be in 1.5.20, whenever that comes out.
> >         Igor
>
> Thanks for your reply Igor.
>
> Does that mean that the gnome-terminal I got from standard setup was
> compiled with the cygwin1.dll file from a snapshot?

First, you did not get gnome-terminal from the official Cygwin
distribution, since a search for "gnome-terminal" on the Cygwin package
search page turns up only the icons and the themes.  The fact that you
used Cygwin setup to install gnome-terminal doesn't really matter, since
you can supply any mirror to Cygwin setup and it'll happily give you all
the packages on that mirror alongside the official Cygwin packages.

That means you will need to take it up with whoever provides
gnome-terminal.  I'm guessing it's the CygwinPorts project, and they have
their own mailing lists.  Since I can't find anything after a quick search
of CygwinPorts about gnome-terminal requiring a snapshot, I can only
assume that it's an unintentional packaging error, but Yaakov would be the
person to answer that (on a CygwinPorts list).

Also, a minor clarification: it was built against the snapshot *headers*,
not just the snapshot cygwin1.dll, but the upshot of that is that it
requires a snapshot DLL.
HTH,
        Igor
--
                                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_            pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu | igor@watson.ibm.com
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'           old name: Igor Pechtchanski
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL     a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"