Re: ssh password-less cmds to Windows 2003 don't return any output

On 21/06/06, Igor Peshansky <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:

Cygwin ssh (and basically all terminals except the Windows console) use pipes to emulate ttys (so-called "ptys"). Some Windows applications don't like these ptys and won't write data to them (and they will certainly not detect them as a console, so any console-specific functions won't work either).

Hmm .. this is where it gets even more interesting. If I run:

$ ssh user@W2003 date
Wed Jun 21 18:02:13 GMTDT 2006

.. then I get a result. But other commands don't, e.g.

$ ssh user@W2003 cat /etc/hosts
$ ssh user@W2003 ls

On Windows 2003, SYSTEM does not have the appropriate privileges to switch
user contexts, so ssh-host-config needs to create an account that does.
Read <http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-switch> for
details.

Before running ssh-host-config I did:

- Right click My Computer, Properties > Advanced > Environment Variables
- Under System Variables, click New, add CYGWIN as the variable name,
add ntsec as the variable value
- Under System Variables, scroll down to Path, click Edit, add
;c:\cygwin\bin to the end of the string already in the field

Then opened Cygwin on the desktop, ran ssh-host-config and entered:

"Privilege Separation?" Yes
"Create local user SSHd?" Yes
"Install SSHd as a service?" Yes
"CYGWIN = " enter ntsec

Should I have done anything different there on W2003 ?

Regards,

John