Re: bash and CSRSS consuming 100% of CPU

On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 03:18:13PM -0700, Brian Dessent wrote:
>Linda Walsh wrote:
>>I didn't see Science Guy mention procexp?  Um, hey, S.G., are you using
>>Process Explorer?
>
>There are probably other programs that use the same technique and cause
>the same effect, like windows update.
>
>>I remember the ProcExp bug, but it only happened when I tried to show
>>properties on a cygwin process.  I believe Mark released a followup
>>version within 2 weeks that fixed the bug.  It wasn't a cygwin bug (at
>>least not the one I'm thinking of).
>
>No, the problem was never fixed on ProcExp's end.  Believe me, I use
>both Cygwin and ProcExp every day, and this was always broken until
>Linbox sponsored cgf to look into it and create a fix, which only
>happened last month.
>
>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-05/msg00525.html
>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-cvs/2006-q2/msg00123.html
>
>(I think that was the one that actually fixed the problem, but it might
>have been http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-cvs/2006-q2/msg00121.html)

Those were both part of the fix.  It took several changes before the bug
was completely squashed.  Although Linbox reported that I fixed the
reported windows update problem somewhere around 2006-05-19, there were
still a few more places which needed fixing as well -- one of which was
the "dreaded constructors in DLLs" problem.

cgf