Re: BUG (1.5.19-4): libdl.a is missing

On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 01:58:14AM -0700, Daniel Santos wrote:
>cygwin (as in the base cygwin package) is missing /lib/libdl.a.  The
>install for the cygwin package should create a symlink with this name
>that links to libcygwin.a in the same directory.  Otherwise, builds for
>a lot of different software packages are broken.  Example is bash-3.1.
>It will die at this point:
>
>gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DSHELL  -I. -I.. -I../include -I../lib -g
>-DCROSS_COMPILING -o mkbuiltins mkbuiltins.o -ldl
>/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
>cannot find -ldl
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
>Create the above symlink and everybody is happy, nobody has to die...

I've added a libdl.a to the latest snapshot, however any project which
relies on the existence of this library without checking to see if it
exists is broken as far as portability is concerned.

>Note:  It was a pain in the ass to figure out how to report and bug.
>Would be nice if there was a bug database or something.

There is a "Reporting Problems" link on nearly every page of the cygwin
web site.

>Will be worse if I have to subscribe to this list to post to it.

You've just discovered that the main cygwin list is not one of them.

Phew.  I guess we dodged that bullet, at least.  I almost came >this<
close to having to refund all of your money for the inconvenience you've
suffered.

cgf