Re: rsh with command hangs, rlogin works

Hi,

Andrew DeFaria wrote:
> but nothing ever logged anything to /var/log/messages 'cept
> start and stop messages. ... how do you switch such services
> to log to there?

Edit /etc/syslogd.conf to set the log level above which
messages are included and to which logfile.

I used what the installer gave me, log everything:

(snip)
#For a start, use this simplifed approach.
*.*					/var/log/messages

Note that rshd.exe did output anything until the segfault.
And it was 'kernel' who trapped the segfault and logged it. If you
get the inetutils sources you can do 'grep syslog rshd.c' to see
what might appear.

> Regarding in.rshd dying, I have seen in.rshd.stackdump's around.

I see the segfault occur in rresvport() which I think is a MS
system call. Debugging that seems ... well, hard.

Someone in the Cygwin team might have better use of stackdumps...

> BTW Lars, how did you get rsh passwordless login configured via .rhosts?

At my present machine I have no .rhosts.
I use /etc/hosts.equiv with a single line:
  localhost

to grant login from localhost, any user.

On other machines I've used .rhosts and just insert host and
username, maybe chmod 600.

> So while I have what I think is a validly formated ~/.rhosts it's
> really //<server>/<share>/adefaria/.rhosts.

My XP Home has benignly set USER=ägare (owner) and keeps it
even though I changed my Windows name to bjornfot. On this
machine I set HOME=/c/bjornfot.

When I log in (rsh localhost) I still end up in the default
/home/$USER. I used hosts.equiv just to avoid managing multiple
.rhosts.

> I simply removed the password field in /etc/passwd.

Hrm, I haven't attempted that ... :-)

Lars