Re: Trying to run VBScript from Cygwin

Dean Steve wrote:
Hi,

I've seen Paul Hughes' message "[Newbie] Trying to run MSWord from Cygwin" dated 02 Mar 2006 and am having similar problems.

I'm also opening a ssh connection from a Linux box to a Windows machine to run a Windows process using CreateObject within VBScript. I have been able to replicate the problem using Excel so I know it's not my other program that is causing the problem. When I run the script, the process starts in the Task Manager but the script fails to proceed any further. I didn't get any error messages originally but when I reinstalled cygrunsrv with the -i option I did get a similar message to Paul complaining about the CreateObject option.

As with Paul the script works fine when I run it locally when I am sat at the machine but seems to hang when I am using ssh. I don't know of any immediate workarounds and I can't change the software like the suggested fix for Paul so do you have any other solutions?
You are aware when you ssh (or rsh/telnet, etc) into a Windows box using Cygwin that you are using pty's and that many Windows programs don't like pty's.

You might try re-writing that VBScript something more suitable for Cygwin like Perl or something like that.
Many Thanks,

Steve

If you can, lose the following. It's quite annoying... (And yes I know sometimes you can't... Don't know why companies insist on such long disclaimers that nobody cares about nor reads...)

The information contained in this E-Mail and any subsequent
correspondence is private and is intended solely for the intended
recipient(s). The information in this communication may be confidential
and/or legally privileged. Nothing in this e-mail is intended to
conclude a contract on behalf of QinetiQ or make QinetiQ subject to any
other legally binding commitments, unless the e-mail contains an express
statement to the contrary or incorporates a formal Purchase Order.

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying,
distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
such information is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Emails and other electronic communication with QinetiQ may be monitored
and recorded for business purposes including security, audit and
archival purposes. Any response to this email indicates consent to
this.

Telephone calls to QinetiQ may be monitored or recorded for quality
control, security and other business purposes.