Re: sshd+ssh localhost connects, but don't reach the shell

Hello again,

> Well, things get more and more confusing. That's what I did:
>
> - Removed c:\cygwin from PATH;
> - Uninstalled cygwin services (actually only sshd);
> - Installed a fresh, new cygwin instance under J:\cygwin (a NTFS
> partition). Accepted default package set, only added openssh and
> dependences;
> - Rebooted, ssh-host-config -y;
> - ssh localhost.
>
> Still no success!

Need more detail, and completeness (you don't say if you started the service and
how).

I'm sorry, I've changed the event order: the correct is "- ssh-host-config -y, rebooted;". I mean, the service was auto-started during boot, as configured by the script.

Can you "ping localhost"?

No problem with that (response time <1ms). It resolves "localhost" as 127.0.0.1.

> Now I'm completely clueless. Since this happens in two very distinct
> machines (my desktop and my notebook), I don't think it is
> hardware-related.

Who said it was hardware related?

Oh, nobody, I'm just considering all possibilities. This one is (was?) in the "unplausible" list. :-)

We don't know if FAT32 is a factor. From your testing it appears that it is not.

Yes; and, as happened to you, it would complain if it doesn't like permission settings.

Turn you attention to the network part.

The symptoms do appear like a firewall issue like Larry Hall said,

This is always a point to be rechecked. I just did it:
- All ssh.exe, ssh2.exe (Windows GUI client) and sshd.exe have full permissions set to access and server;
- Logging on, but no log entries about these programs being blocked.

Anyway, as I said before, all my tests were performed with firewall not running. Should I try, for the sake of completeness, uninstalling it?

also could be
a hijacked /etc/hosts, check it (hijacked by spyware that is redirecting network
traffic to their own spy server -- never seen an actual case but it comes to
mind after seeing similar redirections on a friend's computer).

Nothing there. "localhost" is the only entry in /etc/hosts (which is a link to Windows config file in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts). Windows' lmhosts.sam is clean.

If ping works, try "telnet 127.0.0.1 22" (use the numeric IP address) you should
see "SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.3", then type anything and you'll get "Protocol
mismatch." and the connection is closed.

Good point. I ran it, but got no response at all (telnet screen remains blank). Also (just to check) it doesn't work if service is down. So, everything is pointing towards a failure in the server side.

If those two work... we'll see (I would break out the protocol analyzer but that
may be too much).

I was exactly thinking about using Ethereal. However, I can't go much far on that, since I don't know nothing about the protocol. I'l see what Ethereal has to tell me.

Again, thank you for all the help.

--
Best regards,
Vilar Camara Neto