RE: setup - duplicating cygwin

Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  Thanks.

> > On 16 May 2006 09:20, Jim Easton wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Would someone please tell me what file(s) I would have to take with
> > > me (eg. on a disk) to someone else's machine, both running windows
> > > XP, whereby I could get setup to download the same cygwin components
> > > that are on my machine?
> >
> >   How about the local package cache dir?  That'd do nicely, then you
> > just run setup.exe on the new machine and tell it to install from
> > local directory, and point it there.  I believe this is in the FAQ
> > somewhere but don't have a reference to hand.
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> Thank you for the suggestion.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I
> take it that that would be the stuff in cygwin.disk?
>
> I should clarify.  I have no problem with loading new versions of
> things, what I was after was a way of priming setup with the list of
> names at the "Select packages" step.
>
> I could accomplish the same thing by writing my current config on
> a piece of paper and just check off the names at the new machine
> but that seems so labourious.
>
> The file I'm looking for wouldn't happen to be setup.ini by any
> chance would it.  You could get that on a floopy.  :-)

Jim, in that case you're looking for /etc/setup/installed.db with all
version numbers replaced by "0.0-0".  Just place it into
c:\cygwin\etc\setup on the target machine, and run setup normally,
clicking "Next" all the way through.

FWIW, we should probably have a "dump bundle" function in setup to allow
creating files like this.  Eventually...
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/