RE: Geomview & Cygwin setup

At Friday 2006-04-28 12:46 +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
> > cygming, not cygwin? ('ming' is a strong insult in the UK.
>
>  Yes, and we also do tongue-in-cheek humour quite well.  Well, at least some
> of us do.

humour is intended to generate an emotional response - laughter.

>> I get the impression the writer doesn't like cygwin.)
>
>  Who precisely do you suppose "the writer" would have been?

More accurately, someone who doesn't like Windows.

 Now go away and find out what MinGW is and why cygwin's compiler
might want to refer to it.

A referral to it and bad pun would be CygMinGW, which would at least include the full MinGW 'clue'. Before mailing I attempted some searches on 'ming' with 'gcc' and, unsurprisingly, got nowhere.

Clearer, and backwardly compatible, would be a gcc version report of something like:
gcc version 3.4.4 (cygwin special) (MinGW, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)

which has the advantages of being unambiguous and providing searchable clues for context.

 Once you stop placing a superfluous emotional
colouring on the word you will be less distracted by irrelevancies and more
able to solve your bug rationally.  Stop spreading misinformed FUD.

The attempted pun to generate humour is itself (surprise) 'a superfluous emotional colouring on the word', and is the distraction leading me to irrelevancies. That superfluous attempt at humour has certainly generated an emotional response.

Saying 'ming' instead of 'MinGW' is a deliberately misleading distraction. I was deliberately misinformed by gcc -v.

__CYGWIN__ is defined for gcc; gcc -v should report 'cygwin special'. I do not recommend changing the environment to __CYGMING__ to match in a further attempt at humour.

If you want people to use the information you provide rationally, do not colour that information with irrational attempts at humour to provide misinformation that causes doubt.

We need to trust the output of gcc -v.

L.