Re: serial ports

And what is the final answer? Is there a

/dev/ttySx in Cygwin which can be used in Perl or C, even if I can not see it with ls?
Alex

Dave Korn wrote:

On 23 April 2006 05:44, David Christensen wrote:

Dave Korn wrote:

Well then, that's a really good argument for just using the builtin
access that cygwin provides through /dev/ttySx instead, isn't it?
The way Oliver's original post reads suggests that he was just thrown
off by not seeing any devices under the virtual /dev dir, but that
doesn't mean it won't work for him if he tries it.

As they say in Perl parlance, TIMTOWDI ("there's more than one way to do
it").

I thought perl dudes tend to say things like TIMTOTNHAFTWTDAGT ("there is more than one thousand nine hundread and forty-three ways to do any given thing")....

If Oliver is a C, etc., programmer fluent in the /dev/ttySx API, then
it could work.

But you have a level confusion here. What you refer to as "the /dev/ttySx API" is not a feature of C, any more than it's a feature of Perl. It's a feature of POSIX programming environments. If you're on a POSIX system, you get /dev/ttySx in *every* programming language - Perl, C, the whole lot.

 Also, the very fact that Oliver was asking after where the /dev/ttySx
devices had gone to is kind of a giveaway that he feels happy using it, isn't
it?  You need to actually /read/ people's questions and tailor your answers to
what they've asked, not what you feel would be good for them.

But if Oliver wants to write idiomatic Perl and get his
application going faster and easier,

You should perhaps have stated these conditions in your first post, it's a bit less-informative to leave out the conditions which make a piece of advice valid when you offer it.

then he wants to use standard and accepted CPAN libraries

Perl needs a library just to open and read and write a file and perhaps send a few ioctls ????

 BTW, to me, "print >>$FILE" *is* fairly "idiomatic perl", but I'm just not a
Perl expert I guess.  Is this a case of "Real perl programmers don't output to
files!" ?

rather than roll his own (especially non-portable ones).

And you happen to know what Oliver wants to do? I didn't see him make any suggestion he was going to roll hiw own libraries and use non-portable ones. You're starting to make an /awful/ lot of assumptions here without having any explicit knowledge of what Oliver actually wants.

Win32::SerialPort (Windows) and Device::SerialPort (Unix/Linux) are
the best approach under Perl. One or both may work under Cygwin; I haven't
done serial port programming in a number of years, and needed ActiveState
Perl the last time I did.

Trying to mix win32 perl and cygwin is a recipe for tears. Sure, use CPAN modules, that is of course a good idea; but if the *nix one doesn't work under cygwin, fixing it or rolling your own or even just using the bog-standard file i/o features in perl is definitely far safer.

YMMV.

Well, that's the point isn't it? The OP just asked for help because he wasn't sure of the mapping of com ports to /dev/ttySx numbers. Your advice to install active state perl and some win32 module seems a bit more superfluous effort than merely subtracting one from the com port number and using /dev/ttySx.

 Do perl people also say WDITEWWYCDITHWATTTALITB?  "Why do it the easy way
when you can do it the hard way and take ten times as long into the bargain"?
;)

cheers,
DaveK

-- And God said"Let there be light."But then the program crashed because he was trying to access the 'light' property of a NULL universe pointer.

Alexander J. Herrmann
Analyst/Programmer
http://www.aiengine.org
Email: Ping2Weltall@Gmail.com