RE: cygwin server sends the same key fingerprint all the time

On 19 April 2006 13:21, Soumya wrote:

>  execute secure ftp. I created public/private key pair, appended the public
> key (converted to openSSH) authorized_keys and authorized_keys1 on server.
>  Everything worked fine. I was asked "Do you want to accept this key ?" the
> first time and the known_hosts file was written and subsequent connections
>  went without interruptions. I am trying to use new keys and paste my
> public key to known_hosts on the client, so that even on the first
>  connection, the prompt wouldn't appear. At this time, I realised that
> whatever new key I append to the servers authorized_keys files and whatever
> private key file I use on the client, the server (remote) sends in the SAME
> key fingerprint every time. I even erased everything from authorized_keys
> files and tried connection, I still get a key fingerprint and if I accept
> it, it is written to client's known_hosts.
>
>  Doesn't this mean that cygwin is not loading my new keys and that the
> previous key is stored somewhere else which I do not know ? I restart the
> server every time I append a key ( cygrunsrv --start sshd ).

  Doesn't it actually mean that you've got mixed up between the server key and
the client key?  The server is happily accepting your new client key, as it
previously happily accepted your old one.  But you haven't changed the
*server's* key, and that's the one that's still the same as before.

    cheers,
      DaveK