CVS command returns error

The CVS related ANT tasks require that the cvs executable is on the PATH.

I have two versions of cvs installed,
one is at c:\bin\cvs\cvs.exe
The other at c:\cygwin\bin\cvs.exe

Both versions show the same version information:
Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.20 (client)

When I attempt to execute the target that contains <cvschangelog> using the cygwin copy of cvs, I get the following error:
cvs server: cannot open directory /cvsroot/howl/howl/logger

When I execute using the version in my c:\bin\cvs directory, the task runs successfully. So while these two versions of CVS appear to be the same version, they certainly do not work identically.

Is anyone aware of any issues with the cygwin version of cvs command? Any tricks to using it with <cvs*> ant tasks?

I did not see that I could specify a nested search path in the <cvs> commands. Is there a way to force ANT to use a specific executable for the <cvs*> tasks?

FWIW, I get similar results using "cvs status" from the command prompt (taking ANT out of the picture). When using c:\bin\cvs\cvs.exe version the status is returned successfully. When using c:\cygwin\bin\cvs.exe I get an error. The error occurs whether I invoke cvs from a dos shell, or a cygwin shell.

Thanks
Michael Giroux