Re: Linking Windows dll with GCC application on cygwin

Thanks a lot!

-Jie

----- Original Message ----- From: "Igor Peshansky" <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu>
To: "Jie Xu" <jiexu@iems.northwestern.edu>
Cc: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 12:38 PM
Subject: Re: Linking Windows dll with GCC application on cygwin

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Jie Xu wrote:

I have a dll, for which I don't have the source code, compiled in Visual
Studio .NET 2003. How can I link this dll with my C++ codes compiled in
GCC on cygwin?

The short answer is: you can't (in general). C++ name mangling is different in GCC and MSVC, so you won't be able to link C++ calls properly.

If the functionality exported is all 'extern "C"', you can link to the DLL
by simply specifying it on the command line.  One thing to keep in mind is
that the MSVC DLL is going to use the MSVC runtime, and your Cygwin code
will use the Cygwin runtime, and mixing runtimes is usually not a good
idea.  Unless you're sure that the functionality you use from the MSVC DLL
is going to behave properly, be prepared to track down some nasty bugs.
HTH,
Igor
--
http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
     |\      _,,,---,,_     pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu | igor@watson.ibm.com
    |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' old name: Igor Pechtchanski
   '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"