Re: when is using cygserver recommended? (thx)

Christopher Faylor <cgf-no-personal-reply-please@cygwin.com> writes:

> Just to state the obvious again: cygserver has nothing to do with fork
> -- superstitious assertions to the contrary not withstanding.
>
> cgf

>From the CYGSERVER Readme:
------------------------------
What is Cygserver?

  Cygserver is a program which is designed to run as a background service.
  It provides Cygwin applications with services which require security
  arbitration or which need to persist while no other cygwin application
  is running.

  The implemented services so far are:

  - Control slave tty/pty handle dispersal from tty owner to other
    processes without compromising the owner processes' security.

To me, this sounds like it controls the 'fork'ing of items, but I can't argue
(too much), as I don't know for certain.

Or, could it be that something we (us that have had the problem) call from our
.bashrc or .profile might be calling something that bounces off the cygserver
controlling mechanism?

Dave