Re: Some pointers required on log file examination.

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006, Richard Quadling wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have a document building process which gets its data from a CVS and
> then autoconf/configure/make...
>
> The CVS command I'm using produces 2 log files. The first (cvs1.log)
> contains all the directory names. The second (cvs2.log) contains the
> actual changes to the local files.
>
> What I want to do is not proceed with a nearly 3 hour make when the
> amount of changes is small.
>
> By small I mean less than 50 files changed.
>
> Also, if one from a specific set of files has changed then the make
> must go ahead.
>
> If the make is NOT to go ahead, then the current cvs2.log is to be
> kept and appended to the next time round, so eventually 50 files WILL
> have changed and off we go.
>
> I know next to nothing about Cygwin, so please be nice.
>
> Where do I start?

We can be nice, but we can't write your code for you.  None of this is
actually Cygwin-specific.  All of it is pretty standard Unix stuff.  A
small bit of experimenting with CVS will show you that your cvs1.log is
the redirection of stderr of the CVS command, and cvs2.log is the
redirection of stdout.  A Unix tutorial (most of them) would have an
example of how to count lines in a file using "wc", as well as how to
search for a specific line using "grep".  A shell tutorial will show you
how to redirect to the same file without destroying it.  The rest is just
editing the build driver script to incorporate all of these snippets.

FWIW, a slightly better way of structuring your make is to remember the
date/time of the last make (as a timestamp on a file, perhaps), and simply
compare CVS as of that date/time with the HEAD.  If the HEAD has certain
properties (some particular files changed, the number of changed files is
greater than some threshold, etc), then fire off a checkout and the build.

HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/