Re: 1.5.19: assertion failure in assembler as (2.16.91 20050610)

librik@panix.com wrote:

>         .globl  ___gmpn_divexact_1
> ___gmpn_divexact_1:
>         addl    $_GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_, %edx
>         movl    ___gmp_modlimb_invert_table@GOT(%edx), %edx

Win32 does not use PLT/GOT, so this code cannot work.

> This code snippet comes directly from the new GMP 4.2 (GNU Multi-Precision)
> library sources.  (File mpn/x86/dive_1.asm, shared-library PIC version.)
> Therefore, I have reason to believe this ought to work.  Since it doesn't,
> shared-library GMP can't be built on Cygwin.

"Shared library PIC" only applies to linux.  There is no such thing on
windows, as all code is position independent.  You're trying to compile
something specific to ELF systems under win32 which does not use ELF at
all.  So it's a porting problem with GMP if it tries to compile this
code on a non-ELF platform.

> a patch, so I hope someone with more as & BFD experience can solve it.

It's not a BFD problem, it's a GMP problem.

Brian