Re: How to run X Session from RH8 via ssh -X? How to run vnc via ssh?

<snip>
> However, I cannot seem to start an X session from my "ssh  -X -p 892
> Administrator@209.22.31.134" session.
<snip>

I have previously reported this behavior, and not seen a fix, it used to work.

The problem is running xauth under the covers hangs.

If you add -v -v -v to your line above, you'll see it hang like:

debug2: x11_get_proto: /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth -f
/tmp/ssh-c96kVgf686/xauthfile generate 127.0.0.1:0.0
MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 untrusted timeout 1200 2>/dev/null

If you remove the X forwarding switch (i.e., not use -X) you should be
able to login.

If you kill the X server and/or kill the hung xauth process, an
'empty' ssh Window (non-X) will appear, indicating to me that for some
reason, xauth is looking for input from the console vs. stdin.

As a work around, you can manually reverse forward the display, something like:

ssh -R 6001:localhost:6000 user@system

then manually setting your display, in the above case:

export DISPLAY=:1

Manually picking a port as above can interfere or fail if it is
already in use, using the -X (or -Y) enlists the sshd on the target to
find a free port.

Brett