RE: Problems with setup.exe updates when cygwin is running

On 15 March 2006 15:08, Andrew MacCormack wrote:

> I've just had a bunch of problems with cygwin, including but not limited
> to those experienced here:
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-01/msg00798.html
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2006-01/msg00798.html
>
> As it turns out in the end, these have been down to running setup.exe
> with cygwin running and getting the mesage about needing to reboot.
> However, even after reboot the system has been broken: inodes listed as
> changed, cp saying that files were changed during copy, etc. This all
> seems to be down to the setup.exe run. After reverting everything to
> previous, the problem has gone away entirely. I suggest that setup.exe
> needs robusting, at the very least giving a strong warning on update
> BEFORE changing things if the files are in use.

  Basically I don't think it should let you update if things are still in use.
Even though files can be replace-on-rebooted, that doesn't help the fact that
the postinstall scripts might not have run.

  BTW you could most likely have fixed your brokenness by rerunning setup.exe
and not selecting anything, it would have installed nothing and then run
through whatever scripts were left over from last time.

> A general message to close running programs before installing is used as
> a cop-out by lots of other programs and is usually overkill, and thus
> ignored. So it needs to be clear and specific, if it is to be effective.

  I'm in agreement with you there.  We're working on a patch for it at the
moment.  I think it should either refuse to go any further, or offer to kill
everything for you.

  We should probably draft a bunch of new setup-related FAQs while we're at
it.

> Maybe I've been spoiled by the support I've received on other free
> forums and from commercial companies who don't tell their customers to
> push off.

  I promise you, if you pay me money I won't tell you to push off either!

    cheers,
      DaveK