RE: Problems after upgrading to 1.5.19-4

On 09 March 2006 18:22, Dave Korn wrote:

... one paragraph that needs a little clarification:

> On 09 March 2006 17:51, Larrie Carr wrote:

>> But the latest is not always the best.  For instance, octave could only be
>> compiled with gcc 3.3.3 - but the latest in setup is 3.4.4.  I'm fine with
>> 3.3.3 so I don't want to move anytime soon to 3.4.4.
>>
>> So any time I add a new package with setup, I have to hit the View button
>> to switch to the "Select Packages", muck with the version to "Keep" gcc
>> (but you need to do tehm in the right order, or the dependencies cause the
>> Keep to flip back to Install or 3.4.4 again) and then hit "Next>".
>> Otherwise, installing something silly like orpie will suddenly move your
>> compiler to the next version and that starts to break unrelated things.
>>
>> For the newbie, it's great.  But you don't see installing a rpm for orpie
>> (if one existed) moving your default gcc compiler to a new version.  So it
>> means that NOBODY around here gets to use setup.

.. and I replied with ...

>   No, and now you're making it /really/ clear that you haven't RTFMd.  What
> you *actually* have to do is, when you get to the package chooser, click
> "Keep".

  I should have explained that I meant the "Keep" button at the top of the
menu, the one that directs setup to not automatically update everything, the
one that isn't the default but could be, the one that's next to "Curr" (which
is the default) and "Prev" and "Exp".  All you need to do is click that, then
select the package you want to add by clicking on it.  Bingo: new package
added, nothing else touched.  Exactly what you wanted.

  Of course, the /real/ real answer is that if you're concerned with stability
and reliability and certification and validity and things like that, you MUST
set up your own in-house cygwin mirror server, and you should only ever add
new packages to it when you're sure they're good, and then all the in-house
users can run setup as much as they like, and there will only /be/ new
packages and no updated old packages.  That gives you *total* control over
your environment.

    cheers,
      DaveK