Re: Hanging at GetModuleFileName in inside_kernel function

Hi,
On Feb 23, 2006, at 3:20 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

On Feb 21 13:56, Peter Rehley wrote:
On Feb 21, 2006, at 11:31 AM, Dave Korn wrote:

On 21 February 2006 19:06, Peter Rehley wrote:

Hi,

Well, for my particular hang issue cygwin is hanging inside the
inside_kernel function on the GetModuleFileName call. I tracked this
down by adding debug statements (strace.prntf) until I got to the
point where the debug print before GetModuleFileName would appear and
the ones after it didn't. This is consistent. Each hang is happening
at this spot.

However, this doesn't explain what is happening, but only where.

I also observed that the times it hung were the only times
inside_kernel was actually called.

I'm still trying to get more information.
Peter

p.s. using cygwin snapshot 1.5.19-20060205.

Due to your problem report and some googling, I had some vague idea yesterday, what the problem could be. But it's not clear if the very simple patch I applied yesterday does really change anything with respect to your problem.

Please test the 2006-02-22 snapshot from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
and report if you see a change, to the good or to the bad.

Yeah, I saw that change, and I tried yesterdays snapshot but it still hung. I also did some more googling and found that someone submitted a patch a few years ago. The patch checked to see if it was inside the ntdll.dll by looking at the handle.
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2003-q2/msg00004.html

I found this google too.
http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2004/01/28/63880.aspx

I'm going to try that patch today and see what happens. Christopher didn't apply it because it was a bandage and didn't really fix the bigger problem.

Peter