Re: Installation Errors

Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, jgriffin wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 21:19:01 -0700, Eric Blake wrote
> >
> > According to jgriffin on 1/30/2006 11:29 AM:
> >
> > > I'm trying to install Cygwin on a stand alone computer. Here is what
> > > I'm doing:
> >
> > Most of this looked okay.  However, you probably installed without
> > wiping out the previous installation, or with a second cygwin1.dll
> > somewhere in the path.  Attaching the output of cygcheck -svr, as a
> > text attachment, would help.
> >
> > > Errors
> > > Most of the errors are coming from the post-install scripts. I get
> > > an error dialog stating that cygpopt-0.dll could not be found.
> >
> > Somehow, you missed a dependency when building your cd.  Without all
> > the required packages, you can't expect the installation to work
> > properly. Try again (also, you can use cygcheck -p cygpopt-0.dll to
> > find out what package you missed).
>
> Eric,
>
> I appreciate your response. When I run setup.exe, I'm downloading to a
> specfic folder. I have installed Cygwin numerous times this way and
> never had any problems. The one thing I'm doing different is burning the
> packages (along with the setup.exe app) to a CD. So, in my mind, I need
> to ensure that the cygpopt-0.dll is being transfered 1) from the mirror
> site to the harddrive and then 2) from the hard drive to the CD -
> because I know its not being installed.

One thing to keep in mind (and which people trying to make Cygwin CDs
using setup.exe keep forgetting) is that setup.exe is not a mirroring
tool.  It will not download packages that are already installed on the
system, even in download mode.  So, if you have "the package that contains
cygpopt-0.dll" (see below) installed on your system, but the tarball for
it is somehow missing from your package cache, it will not be
re-downloaded.  If you want to make setup download stuff, move your Cygwin
directory out of the way before downloading (you can move it back
afterwards without any loss of information -- just delete the
newly-created Cygwin root folder).

> What package contains the dll?

As Eric said, "cygcheck -p" should work for a sufficiently recent version
of Cygwin (1.5.19+).  Otherwise, there's always the Cygwin package search
page at <http://cygwin.com/packages/>.

> I did run cygcheck -svr and compared it to a working cygwin install -
> nothing jumped out ( I can't post the file for other reasons).

Unless you store plaintext passwords in the environment, nothing in the
cygcheck output should be a security hole.  However, we should probably
have an FAQ page on what can be sanitized in the cygcheck output and how
to sanitize it without losing information...  Any volunteers? :-)

> The "-p" option is not recogized by cygcheck.

It is for Cygwin 1.5.19 or newer.
HTH,
	Igor
--