Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: readline-5.1-1, libreadline6-5.1-1

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 06:47:46AM -0700, Eric Blake wrote:
> According to Bob Rossi on 1/25/2006 4:21 PM:
> >
> > Is there any known bugs with readline-5.1 on Cygwin? I've tracked down my
> > problem compiling and running CGDB to this package.
>
> No known cygwin-specific bugs, but definitely upstream bugs, or perhaps
> also bugs in the terminfo database.  Read the last few day's worth of
> complaints about prompt display bugs caused by readline mishandling
> terminfo settings when compiled for multibyte support (and I'm still
> trying to put together a readline-5.1-2 release that at least works around
> this).

OK, thanks for the info.
> > In linux, everything works fine, although I know these problems could
> > lie anywhere. CGDB uses the alternative callback mechanism of the readline
> > library. I had several contributions to readline, which improved the readline
> > library's alterntive callback mode.
>
> You are welcome to compile readline from source, with full debugging
> symbols, and help debug this issue.  I must admit that although I maintain
> readline, I have not compiled anything but bash that uses it, and even
> then, I relied on out-of-the-box usage of readline.  So I won't be much
> help in discovering where the alternative callback mechanism seems to go
> wrong for you.

Yeah, CGDB may be the only packages that uses the alternative interface.
Before 5.1 the interface did not work properly, and would cause hangs.

OK, I did figure out how to compile readline-5.1, however, I couldn't
figure out how to link against it. I was only able to link against the
system installed readline. Any suggestions?

> > Does the Cygwin distro patch readline-5.1? If so, where can I see these
> > patches?
>
> Use setup.exe to download the source for any package included in the
> cygwin distribution; the source tarball includes my cygwin-specific
> patches (mainly a workaround to speed up completion on //, and an extra
> hook function required by the cygwin release of bash 3.0-9).

Thanks,
Bob Rossi