Re: New platform independent problem

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:47:40 +0900
> > From: djh <henman@XX.XX-XX.XX.XX>
> >
> > In December of last year, 2005, the cygwin developers deprecated d_ino
> > out of the dirent.h defined dirent structure.

...changing it to __deprecated_d_ino, I believe.

> > This break emac's dired.c (from compiling)
> > Ref: http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-12/msg00205.html
>
> Without knowing the full details, I'd risk saying that this was not
> the best decision.  Is there really no way of making d_ino be
> consistent with what `stat' returns about the same directory?

Corinna already covered that.

> In any case, I think removing the member is a solution that is much
> worse than the problem: many programs refer to d_ino, but don't
> require too much from its contents.  These programs will now fail to
> compile.  I don't think that the goal of educating the maintainers of
> Bash and Find (a worthy goal in itself) justifies breaking the other
> packages.
>
> If making d_ino consistent with st_ino is impossible, a better way of
> dealing with problems in Bash and Find is to make changes in those
> packages' sources that are specific to Cygwin.

Frankly, many programs expect that if d_ino is present, it has the correct
value (i.e., the same as st_ino).  Having the member and not setting it
correctly is essentially lying to the application.  Is it so bad for
Cygwin to be honest?

> > This change causes a "make bootstrap" error in building my emacs vers.
> > 22.0.50 source.
> >
> > "gcc -c  -Demacs -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DUSE_GTK  -I. ..snipped...-O2 dired.c
> > dired.c: In function `directory_files_internal':
> > dired.c:230: error: structure has no member named `d_ino'
> > dired.c: In function `file_name_completion':
> > dired.c:538: error: structure has no member named `d_ino'
> > make[1]: *** [dired.o] Error 1 "
> >
> > Under the prior version of cygwin this built successfully.
> >
> > I unfortunatley am not expert enough to suggest any fixes for this,
> > but, I wanted to bring it to your attension to those of you out there
> > who are and want emacs to continue to be usable on the newer version
> > of cygwin.
>
> The immediate fix seems to be to modify the definition of
> DIRENTRY_NONEMPTY for Cygwin so that it uses the same trick as on
> MS-DOS.  (Isn't it sad that Cygwin needs old MS-DOS era tricks?)

If the content of d_ino isn't required to be anything specific, a simpler
solution could be something like

#ifdef __CYGWIN__
#define d_ino __deprecated_d_ino
#endif

Though why would a program refer to d_ino if it doesn't expect to do
anything with its content is beyond me.
HTH,
	Igor
--