Re: Segment fault/Bus error with Singular

Unfortunately, the instructions in FAQ # 2.15 "How do I install snapshots?" is not completely clear. It says that one should first close all Cygwin applications and shells. But then it says to "run" a sequence of commands:

  cd /
  tar .......
  cd /tmp
  tar ......

Now given that I was supposed to exit Cygwin, presumably these commands are to be run from a Windows command prompt.

But then to what does root directory "/" refer? To the Cygwin root? And if so, where should I have put the downloaded cygwin-inst-YYMMDD.tar.bz2 ? And if "/" does not refer to the Cygwin root, to what does it refer?

If the commands are to be run within Cygwin, on the other hand, then that would seem to contradict the first instruction, namely, to close all Cygwin applications and shells.

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Reformatted top-post...

Murray Eisenberg wrote:

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

Murray Eisenberg wrote:

I'm running latest Cygwin under Windows XP Pro (SP2, with all updates). I installed all the Singular packages via Cygwin Setup.

After I start cygwin with its bash shell, command

Singular

gives error:

  Singular " signal 11 (v: 3001/2005111410):
  Segment fault/Bus error occurred (r:1136744764)
  Please inform the authors
  trying to restart...

(The number after "r:" changes depending on what else is running in windows.) But Cygwin never recovers, and it freezes.

At first I tried uninstalling Singular, downloading the Singular packages again, and re-installing; same error. I completely uninstalled Cygwin, downloaded Cygwin again including the Singular packages, and re-installed. Same error.

On the other hand, if I go to the subdirectory lib\Singular of the main cygwin directory and double-click Singular.exe, then Singular does run, in a DOS command prompt window (although I see message "cannot open `standard.lib'".

So the bug seems to be somewhere in the interface between Singular and cygwin. Any ideas of how to proceed. (I did report this bug on the Singular web site a couple days ago but have had no response.)

Does a recent snapshot make a difference?

<http://cygwin.com/snapshots/>

If not, please read and follow the problem reporting guidelines at:

Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html

Thanks for your reply that suggests to try a recent snapshot.

Unfortunately, I don't know whether the various, latest "snapshot" files will help, since I haven't a clue which one or ones to download or, once I've downloaded, what to do with it/them!

I see nothing on the snapshots page (to which the URL you supplied points) about how to use these files.

I'm a very experience computer user, but I need guidance here!

See the FAQ entry:

<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.setup.snapshots>

This has the proper steps to follow to install a snapshot.