Re: permissions and ACLs

Ken Senior schrieb:

Frustrated by permission problems resulting from having two accounts with the same user name (one domain, one local) I decided to start over with my cygwin installation. This time, I logged in as local administrator (account name say admin@local) and installed cygwin as this user. Then, to make sure I could read and use cygwin from my domain account I used the Windows ACLs to also grant my domain account "Full Control" to all the files in C:\cygwin. Thus, both my admin@local (local admin) and my admin@domain (domain admin) have Full Control to files in C:\cygwin. But, while logged in both as admin@local and as admin@domain I tried from Windows Explorer to delete a file and was informed that I do not have permission!

Cygwin doesn't have an independent set of file permissions, the acls of windows are just translated to cygwin, use getfacl to view them. If you can't do it in windows, cygwin won't help.

I suggest getting the permissions right in windows before using cygwin. To view the permissions set on a file use cacls or xcacls (from windows support tools). The hidden readonly and system flags overrule acl entrys (set with attrib). On a mounted share the rescriction on the share overrule acl entrys.

If you can't delete a file as administrator and think you should, please post the output from cacls on this file.