Re: services not starting with 20060104 snapshot

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 12:42:56AM -0500, Igor Peshansky wrote:

> >> Can you try inverting the (now) two CreateWindowStation calls in
> >> need_invisible so that the "CygwinInvisible" case is called first and
> >> the NULL case is called second?
> >
> >Nope, didn't work.  The service doesn't start in this case.
> >
> >> And, if that doesn't work, then try commenting out the
> >> CloseWindowStation.
> >
> >I wasn't sure whether you meant commenting it out after the swap or
> >before, so I tried both.  It didn't affect the behavior in either case
> >(service not started with the swap; no output from ssh without the
> >swap).
>
> Any and all combinations are welcome at this point.  There seem to be an
> infinite number of straws.

Hope we run out of straws before we run out of patience... :-)

> Next straw would be to put a call to init_console_handler(TRUE); just before
> the call to CloseWindowStation:
>
>       if (horig && h && h != horig && SetProcessWindowStation (horig))
> 	{
> 	  set_console_handler_true (TRUE);
          init_console_handler (TRUE);

> 	  CloseWindowStation (h);
> 	}

I made the above change.  No luck. :-(

> >> Also, what version of XP are you running?  Pro?  Is it up-to-date with
> >> all service packs and updates?
> >
> >I'm running XP Pro SP1, with most updates applied (except KB835409 and
> >KB910437, which are pending).
>
> Maybe that is a clue, as Yitzchak suggested.  I'd missed that in the
> cygcheck output.  I'm running SP2 and I believe Corinna is also.

It does look like a problem with SP1 (and Karl's message supports this as
well).  Unfortunately, I'm not at liberty to install SP2 on this machine
(due to licensing restrictions).  So I'll have to dig until a solution is
found.

Interestingly enough, the ssh daemon works just fine with the 20051003
snapshot.  I'll try to track all the changes to fhandler_console between
then and now to see which one tickled this problem.

Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of this.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"