Re: Cygwin SSHD Password different from Windows Password - Possible?

Reformatted top-post:

Brett Serkez wrote:

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 19:43:14 +0100 (CET), "Ordinary Olson" <olson_ord@yahoo.it> said:

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>

I have Windows XP set up with just a single account
i.e. an Admin account with no admin password. I have
installed cygwin in this account.

           Is it possible that this cygwin sshd
server runs with a password i.e. I want to maintain
the Windows XP without a password, while the cygwin
sshd server should have a password (for anyone trying
to connect to it.)

I tried setting the cygwin password, and after that it
seemed that my windows account also required the
password to log in. I have tried searching this topic online – but I don’t
think I get anything.

Thank you for taking your time to respond to this. Regards,
O.O.

I believe sshd will not allow login without both a password and home
directory.  The second requirement means you must start a login shell as
a given user to create their home directory.  This is a way of
controlling which accounts can login remotely.

Cygwin/Windows doesn't directly support su as UNIXies do.  Normally you
wouldn't allow direct remote login as an administrator/root, you'd force
login as an ordinary user and then su.  In this case, you don't have
that option, atleast not easily, perhaps use of a dedicated remote
account with a password would be appropriate, otherwise just use the
password on the administrator account for both.

I'm not sure if this would work with Cygwin's sshd, but I believe you
can disable password login and use public/private keys to authenticate. If their is no password, I am not sure if sshd will allow login based on
key authentication.

Cygwin's sshd does not require a password by default.  I run it without
one all the time.  If you want to log in using password authentication
but keep your password empty, you need to change "PermitEmptyPasswords"
to "Yes" in your sshd_config file.  Regardless of this setting or what
your password is, you may use public key authentication.

On NT platforms and up, cygwin's sshd defers to Windows for password
authentication. Given that, one wouldn't be able to have a password for a
user in Cygwin's world but not in Windows or vice versa.

-- Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com RFK Partners, Inc. (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9889 - FAX Holliston, MA 01746