php scripts dying in cron, runs fine in task scheduler (W2k3)

I'm running cygwin on W2K3 with php built into windows via the binary
from php.net.

I run php scripts, via cron, at freqent intervals, one is a simple
database script that copies data from a back-end database to a
front-end database, which has been running fine within cron for many
many months. - runs every two minutes

The second script, also every two minutes, that reads xml files, from
50Kb to 400Kb,  and inserts this data into a sybase (back-end)
database. At any given time there is anywhere from 5-20+ files that it
will need to process.

The problem is, the second script dies at various parts of the script,
with no consistency.  When this was first seen, php was throwing
errors on the console that it had ran out of memory, at that time i
had cron running as part of the Administrators Group, but not as
Administrator - username was cron_server.  When this was seen, i
reinstalled cron (and cygwin to the lastest versions of everything)
and ran the serivce as Administrator, which stopped php from throwing
errors, but did not stop the script from dying mid-stream.

If i run this command from the cygwin bash prompt, it can process
thousands of files (ran it once with a directory of 2000+ files - took
90minutes), and when i run it out of task scheduler via .bat file, it
runs without issue, every two minutes.

This leads me to belive that cron in cygwin is only allowed to take a
certian amount of memory, or run for a certian amount of time.
Niether of which makes much sense to me.  When the script runs it only
consumes about 20Mgs of memory and runs for less then two minutes.

Any assistance/thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I'm running  Windows 2003 Server Ver 5.2 Build 3790 (2.39 Ghz Celleron
1G memory)  - Dell Server

Hopefully this is a decent amount of info, i have much more, but tried
to no bog it down with seemingly useless details.  any infomation
needed i will provide.

Thanks
Jeff

Selected output from cygcheck -s -v -r

With cygwin version -
    Cygwin DLL version info:
        DLL version: 1.5.18
        DLL epoch: 19
        DLL bad signal mask: 19005
        DLL old termios: 5
        DLL malloc env: 28
        API major: 0
        API minor: 132
        Shared data: 4
        DLL identifier: cygwin1
        Mount registry: 2
        Cygnus registry name: Cygnus Solutions
        Cygwin registry name: Cygwin
        Program options name: Program Options
        Cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2
        Cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags
        Cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix
        Cygdrive default prefix:
        Build date: Sat Jul 2 20:30:04 EDT 2005
        Shared id: cygwin1S4

cron service data
Service             : CygwinCron
Current State       : Running
Controls Accepted   : Stop
Command             : /usr/sbin/cron -D
stdin path          : /dev/null
stdout path         : /var/log/CygwinCron.log
stderr path         : /var/log/CygwinCron.log
Environment         : CYGWIN="ntsec"
Process Type        : Own Process
Startup             : Automatic
Account             : myDOMAIN\Administrator

cron version
cron                 3.0.1-19