Re: 2.510.2.2: bash won't open after install

Nick Low wrote:

> Alright, I put in the pause at the end of the batch file like you
> suggested, and now the window opens and displays the following
> message:  "Press any key to continue..."  Of course, pressing any key
> closes the window.
>
> There is no other information displayed in the window.

OK, if you want more output change the first line to "@echo on", and while you
are there why not put "--verbose --debug" parameters to bash.

> I tried out the following command from a cmd window:
>
> strace bash --login -i > nick.out
>
> This command yielded a command prompt.  When I doubled clicked on the
> shortcut located on my desktop, I was able to use Cygwin normally in
> that window.  I typed set at the prompt and can see that the HOME
> value is set to /home/Administrator.  I am able to cd to that
> directory from the Cygwin window without any problems.

Change to $HOME?  it should have started on $HOME, was it somewhere else?

> I can close out the window in which I was running the strace, and the
> Cygwin window that I started up while it was running works fine.  If I
> open up another Cygwin window while the second window is open (and now
> the first window with the strace running in it is closed), that works
> fine as well.  If I close all of the Cygwin windows though, and then
> try to open up a new window, I am back to square one - "Press any key
> to continue..."

Never seen something like that.

> Any other ideas out there?

Only questions: your cygcheck output said the PC has 4 processors, is it 2 with
hyper-threading or really 4?  Some people have reported unusual errors with
hyper-threaded CPUs, most problems where solved some time ago but you should
search the list just to make sure.

Perhaps you can get out something interesting with the --debug parameter to bash.
--
René Berber