Re: vim under cygwin

Hi Igor.

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Luke Vanderfluit wrote:

Hi.

I'm a vi user :-)

I recently started using cygwin, so forgive me if this is an obvious one.
I want to use vi under cygwin but I'm having trouble with terminal settings.

apparently these are the possible term settings.

builtin_ansi
builtin_xterm
builtin_iris-ansi
builtin_dumb

However, none of these work right.
Can someone advise me on the term settings for windows XP/cygwin or
point me to an appropriate resource.

Just to clarify: if you use the default cmd.exe "console" window (i.e.,
the default Cygwin shortcut), then your TERM is "cygwin". If you use
rxvt or xterm, you'd use TERM="xterm", of course...
HTH,

Thanks for your reply.
I'm using rxvt. I use the following in cygwin.bat:

bash --login -i -c 'rxvt -geometry 80x29 -sb -sl 10000 -bg Black -fg green -bd LightSeaGreen -fn Courier -font 7x15'

I've tried setting
term=builtin_xterm -> bad characters when using cursor, no backspace=delete to previous line as in vim set backspace=2, no info telling me which mode I'm in.
term=ansi, backspace=2 -> no mode info, backspace deletes but screen doesn't show deletions until next insert (annoying, not workable)

If there are any cygwin users on XP who have a nicely working vi, please let me know what your settings are.

Thanks.

Kind regards.
Luke.

-- Luke