Re: Perl/TK Segmentation Violation

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Brett Serkez wrote:

> > > As another test I did a full install of Libs and X11, afterwards my test
> > > program now runs.  I believe this confirms the issue is a missing
> > > dependency in the package management system.  What tools are available
> > > to track down which package contains the missing libraries?
> >
> > Try the package search page - <http://cygwin.com/packages/>
>
> Sorry I wasn't clear, actually meant how do I figure out which libraries
> are missing?  That will then allow me to use the package search to
> figure out which package dependency is missing.
>
> Here is the list of Cygwin DLLs in use by Perl when it is running my
> Perl/TK sample program.  I could use some help determining which DLLs
> are in which package and thus missing libraries.  I removed what were
> clearly Windows DLLs, I'm not 100% sure every DLL on this list is a
> Cygwin DLL:
>
> ctype.nls
> Cwd.dll
> cygcrypt-0.dll
> cygexpat-0.dll
> cygfontconfig-1.dll
> cygfreetype-6.dll
> cygperl5_8.dll
> cygwin1.dll     Cygwin® POSIX Emulation DLL     Red Hat
> 1005.18.0000.0000
> cygX11-6.dll
> cygXft-2.dll
> cygXrender-1.dll
> cygz.dll
> Encode.dll
> Event.dll
> locale.nls
> sortkey.nls
> sorttbls.nls
> Tk.dll
> unicode.nls

The short but cryptic answer (as a techie, you might appreciate this):

echo $THE_ABOVE_LIST | awk '{print $1}' | xargs which 2>/dev/null | \
  xargs cygcheck | sed 's/^\s\+//' | sort -u | cygpath -f - | \
  xargs cygcheck -f

(provided you have all the packages installed).

The long answer: you can use the "cygcheck" tool to find out which DLLs an
executable (or DLL) depends on, like this:

$ cygcheck `which cygperl5_8.dll`
C:/cygwin/bin/cygperl5_8.dll
  C:/cygwin/bin\cygcrypt-0.dll
    C:/cygwin/bin\cygwin1.dll
      C:\WINDOWS\System32\ADVAPI32.DLL
        C:\WINDOWS\System32\ntdll.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNEL32.dll
        C:\WINDOWS\System32\RPCRT4.dll

(since DLLs have to be in the PATH unless loaded via dlopen(), you can use
"which" to find out where the DLL lives).

You can also use this versatile tool to find out which (installed) package
a file belongs to, like this:

$ cygcheck -f `which cygperl5_8.dll`
perl-5.8.7-4

The rest is glue.