Re: Where is patch?

> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:28:54 +0100
> From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se>
> Cc: cygwin@cygwin.com, Emacs Devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> *** For patch: I would like it to discover that the line ending type of
> the patch file and the file to patch differ.

Patch does that already if you use the --binary option on Windows.

> *** For Emacs: I would like the default on MS Windows to be CR-LF line
> endings. That would in my opinion be less surpricing for an MS Windows user.

We decided long ago to preserve the EOL format, and I think that
decision was correct.  As I wrote elsewhere, I use Patch from within
Emacs on Windows with no problems at all.  Emacs has commands to force
specific EOL types when it saves files and communicates with
subordinate programs, so the defaults are not really important.